"
Thursday, August 23, 2007

celosia (se-lo´zhe, -zhê-e) noun See cockscomb.
[New Latin Cêlosia, genus name, from Greek kêlos, dry, burnt (from its color), from kaiein, to burn.]
cockscomb
cockscomb (kòks´kom´) noun 1. The comb of a rooster. 2. The cap of a jester, decorated to resemble the comb of a rooster. 3. An annual plant (Celosia cristata) widely cultivated for its showy, fan-shaped or plumelike clusters of red or yellow flowers. Also called celosia. 4. Obsolete. Variant of coxcomb.
I saw these flowers at a farmer's market today. First time I ever saw them, I think. An "aerial view" of them makes one think of a brain. I tried to find a picture that captured their "braininess" I couldn't. And the the flower I bought today for $2 is fuscha colored and it's leaves make me think of silk flower's- they are just too perfect.
As I type, I gaze at this temporary installation of Mother Nature's art on my desk and wonder about art and how it is captured. Painting are inspired by architecture, bone structure or light for example and what results is derivative and mixed. Even my words cannot do this flower justice.
Today was the first time all summer I walked around during lunch and I chatted happily with the merchants. I bought Amish butter, garlic cheese spread that spilled in the bag. I indulged myself and thought of my husband. This flower was new to me, those other seemingly mundane activities forgotten for so long.
Yet, yet the flower alone on my desk does not tell all nor this entry. As that say art is an art not a science. : )

Labels: , ,