"
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Everyone's a critic...

After all, one knows one's weak points so well, that it's rather bewildering to have the critics overlook them and invent others.
Edith Wharton (1862 - 1937)




I asked for and got: criticism. I didn't mean to really ask, I just had to fill in the subject line on a Craigslist posting. But someone in Cleveland took me up on my request.

She was honest and direct, some I agreed with, some I found amusing as it was opposite some other criticism I had received. I am too cliched, or is it not enough? I need universal themes, but I always thought good writing brought new worlds to light.

And the writer guessed we're both lost; she's correct, that's what this blog is about. Defining ourselves outside of others conventions and/or expectations. Women, even today, have more roles but not fewer responsibilities: we are to be everything to everyone all at once, save ourselves. Nothing new there, that's life.

Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like
consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk.” Edward Weston

The writer also said: " I think a true, successful artist is not a tortured soul, but a rounded individual with lots to draw inspiration from. Your works says something is missing. Oh, I hope you find it, there is talent in both the words and the images, but it does need something. When they use the word "composition", it is meant as a way to pull all of the separate parts of a story or artwork together into a common whole. Life is like that too, separate parts, and if something is out of place or missing, there is no composition. "


I do not believe insanity is a perquisite for art-making, but it obviously does not hurt in many cases, and usually does not hinder. The art produced is different, but not inferior. Brute artist's(art of the institutionalized insane) is a good example of art being produced despite ones limitations. A scattered life is a quilt:scrapes put together to keep one warm, whole and full.

PS:

Husband and I are starting to make homemade ties. I plan on putting my poetry somewhere on them. Here's where I am getting my tie pattern.


Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:
Blogger Beginning with "B" said...
I really like the writing & graphic art here.

It is a very welcoming site.
I feel as if I am falling into it.

Much Luck, and keep on writing, loving, and tie-making!

xx,b/adam.

Blogger Artworks4women said...
Thanks Adam-the tie making is a labor of love actually.